Deadline 03 July 2020
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The Platform is recruiting a Mechanization Support Specialist for eastern and southern Africa to help developing world breeders achieve higher rates of genetic gain and extract maximum value from new and proven technologies.
The position will be based in eastern or southern Africa. The exact location – tentatively Kenya – is yet to be defined depending on operational needs and established partnerships with CGIAR sister research centers.
- Develop machinery inventories;
- Develop machinery acquisition plans;
- Develop business cases for mechanization and process automation;
- Develop and implement maintenance procedures;
- Develop a list of local/ regional /global vendors for critical equipment and services (shared across EiB members);
- Develop metrics and KPIs for monitoring adoption of mechanized and automated solutions and for maintenance of machinery.
- Bachelor in agricultural engineering, agronomy or related field with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
- MBA will be viewed favorably.
- Relevant global experience in agriculture sector.
- Familiar with operations in large breeding pipelines.
- In-depth understanding of the following process and respective mechanization options:
- Soil Preparation equipment
- Planters and planting solutions
- Harvesters and harvesting solutions including dryers
- Seed process equipment
- Seed storage options (cold rooms, packaging etc.)
- Digitizing nursery and trial processes (packet printers, plot tags, labels etc.)
- Experience with managing machine maintenance process (protocols, logistics, labor, costs, etc.).
- In-depth understanding of agricultural machinery market within the region (vendors, service providers, etc.).
- Project Management skills will be viewed favorably.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in English (French will be considered favorably).
- Able to work in a multicultural environment with leadership skills.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Negotiation and conflict resolution, Teamwork and Client Orientation.
- A great opportunity for technical and professional development by teaming up with a wide range of experts from CGIAR, NARS and private industry.
- Excellent career opportunities in an international organization.
A friendly, humble environment full of people passionate for what they do and interested in helping people around the world
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS20119_ Mechanization Support Specialist – East and South Africa. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday July 3rd, 2020 & this position will remain open until filled.
For more information please read official call