Deadline: 15 October 2020
Applications are open for socio-economist at African Plant Nutrition Institute (APNI). The holder of this position will work both independently and with teams to improve nutrient management practices by focusing on socio-economic issues that facilitate appropriate interventions across Africa.
I. About the African Plant Nutrition Institute
APNI is a not-for-profit research and education institute based in Benguérir, Morocco. The institute works to develop and promote sustainable plant nutrition management practices and innovation through research, education and outreach. It has active research projects in East, West and North Africa. Please refer the official website for more information: www.apni.net
II. The position
The new position will be located at the APNI headquarters in Benguérir, Morocco. The position will support APNI’s socio-economic research and impact assessment activities.
This position reports to the Director of Research, with additional responsibility of supporting the Director of Communications and the Director of Business & Partnership Development on resource mobilization, knowledge transfer and policy engagement issues.
- Develop, plan and implement socio-economic research programs at the farm and landscape scale that contribute to the effectiveness and impact of APNI’s research and outreach.
- Support the integration of socio-economics and policy issues in APNI programs to improve the design and implementation of research and development investments and to accelerate technology adaption.
- Evaluate statistical and survey methods and indicators for use in plant nutrition research, and help develop standardized data analysis and procedures.
- Conduct applied economic analysis to evaluate local-level production functions and economic viability of nutrient management interventions.
- Facilitate economic, socio-economic or sociological studies in plant nutrition research and related fields, use suitable quantitative and qualitative approaches for data analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- Develop, foster and maintain interdisciplinary collaborative approaches within and outside of APNI.
- Support evidence generation that enhances agricultural and rural transformation through technology adoption
- Support the development and coordinate APNI’s monitoring and evaluation plan for impact assessment of research and outreach programs.
- Support the Director of Research and the Director of Business & Partnership Development to identify strategic and innovative research streams, and formulate proposals for external funding.
- Assist the Director of Business & Partnership Development in advancing effective strategies for evidence-based policy engagement with decision-making bodies and relevant stakeholders.
- Actively publish research results in international peer-reviewed journals and help develop APNI’s communication products.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director General.
- Contribute to academic programs at the Mohammed VI Polytechnic University.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or PhD) in socio-economics, agricultural economics, agri-business management, or closely related studies.
- Additional experience in natural resources management, environmental sciences or value chain approaches is desirable.
- At least seven years of experience conducting qualitative and quantitative socio-economic research in an international program environment, preferably within the agriculture, agribusiness or rural-development sector.
- Excellent and up-to-date knowledge of research methods for the study of behaviour change, gender, social inclusiveness, risks and benefits from agricultural technology change.
- Knowledge and experience with qualitative and quantitative methods, tools and data analysis methods for comprehensive agricultural socio-economic review, technological evaluation and impact assessment.
- Experience in applied assessment methods for evaluation of the economic performance of agricultural technologies at the farm and landscape level.
- Strong understanding and experience with the social, cultural and economic context of agriculture in Africa.
- Experience in interdisciplinary research integrating biophysical and socio-economic processes in agricultural research and development.
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to collaborate within research teams and across research partnerships.
- Excellent track record of original research and peer-reviewed publications based on socio-economic science methodologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Proficiency in French, Portuguese or Arabic is an advantage.
- A competitive salary and employee benefit package will be provided.
- The position is for a full-time and permanent position, subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation period and performance.
- Qualified African nationals and female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
- The location of the position will be based at the APNI Headquarters in Benguérir, Morocco.
VI. How to apply
Qualified candidates should send all application materials in English, including a detailed CV, an application letter, and the email addresses of three professional references to [email protected], with the position name (Socio-economist) mentioned in the subject line.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
For more information please read the official call