Deadline: 04 July 2020
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations.
The Rice Breeding Platform will deliver on key priorities of the Strategic Plan in the areas of breeding for favorable environments, breeding for unfavorable environments, host plant resistance, quantitative genetics, seed and delivery systems and germplasm evaluation. To meet the needs of research groups across IRRI platforms, this position will lead:
1. Development and application of quantitative genetic and statistical methods/tools including experimental designs for rice breeding.
2. Breeding analytics and efficient management of data and information.
3. Integration of IRRI breeding analytics with the CGIAR-wide Excellence in Breeding analytics team.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and is open for international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and lead the IRRI biometrics and quantitative genetics group in providing high-quality, timely and relevant support for experimental design and analysis, particularly in rice breeding programs.
- Provide leadership, guidance and support to research teams across Platforms and of the NARES partners on breeding program and multi-location testing design, design of experiments, data analysis and data management.
- Proactively evaluate analysis routines being used in the Enterprise Breeding System, identify shortcomings and develop new routines to improve the range of applications, usability and reliability of these analyses.
- Promote the use of appropriate statistical design and analysis tools and data management platforms, in order to empower researchers to independently manage and analyze their data.
- Ensure that best practices and policies for data collection, transmission and analysis are followed.
- Ensure delivery of outcomes aligned with the IRRI’s vision, mission, values, target goals, policies and procedures.
- Manage performance and mentor scientists and staff in biometrics group.
- Coordinate closely with research teams and partners to provide support and guidance for design of breeding trials, data management, data analyses and interpretation.
- Promote the adoption/use of the Enterprise Breeding System in IRRI breeding programs.
- Lead the integration of the IRRI breeding analytics team with the Excellence in Breeding shared analytics service, negotiating terms of reference and providing input to shape the EiB service.
- Collaborate with government, donors, rice R&D partners, private enterprise to align with client and donor expectation.
- Maintain and proactively develop network and partnerships with potential donors.
- Actively contribute to the design, development and implementation of standardized analysis routines in the Enterprise Breeding System in collaboration with the Excellence in Breeding staff, and promote the implementation of improved routines wherever needed.
- Provide statistical guidance across clusters and Platforms at IRRI, and to NARES partners, and promote the use of modern statistical methods especially for complex data sets from national and regional trials.
- Lead the maintenance and improvement of centralized databases to ensure efficient management of research and breeding program information and data.
- Supervise, coach and mentor scientific professional and support staff including PhD students, Postdoctoral Fellows, and Scientists on research projects and contribution to collaborations with NARES and ARI.
- Develop training curricula and manuals and implement systematic training programs on statistical design, data analysis, and data management.
- Publish and actively contribute to articles in peer-reviewed journals/digests that highlight findings from research and experiment activities showcasing the Institute's scientific leadership.
- Actively seek external funds and secure partnerships for research and development.
- Perform any other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor from time to time.
- PhD in relevant discipline with at least 5 years post-PhD experience in biometrics and statistical designs or relevant areas.
- Demonstrated skills in modern quantitative and statistical methods including breeding value estimation, estimation of quantitative genetic parameters, partially replicated statistical designs, spatial and stability analyses, and simulations.
- Has excellent research and data management experience Demonstrated contribution to the delivery of strategies and plans of multiple projects.
- Has outstanding leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team, especially as related to developing and providing quantitative genetics support.
- Experience with breeding informatics; work experience in providing services to diverse teams and working with large historical datasets.
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Apply at IRRI’s Website