Deadline: 2 August 2020
WorldFish is an international, non-for-profit research organization that works to reduce hunger, malnutrition and poverty by improving fisheries and aquaculture. WorldFish is a member of CGIAR , the world’s largest global partnership on agriculture research and innovation for a food secure future.
I. ABOUT THE POSITION
WorldFish is looking for a Technical Officer that will be involved in the implementation of the genetic breeding program at National Aquaculture Research and Development Centre (NARDC), Mwekera. This is line with the genetic improvement program of the indigenous Orechromis andersonii under the Zambia Aquaculture Development Enterprise Project (ZAEDP).
The successful candidate is expected to work closely with Research Breeding Platform Manager to deliver integrated solutions to accelerate sustainable growth of aquaculture in Zambia:
- Research planning: Together with the Research Breeding Platform Manager, develop farm and activity work plans for research and development of the genetic improvement program of Orechromis andersonii breeding program.
- Research delivery and execution:
- Working closely with the Research Breeding Platform Manager, conduct research activities at NRDC, Mwekera and other locations determined by the WprldFish, ZAEDP project leader for the Orechromis andersoniibreeding and genetic improvement program.
- Daily supervise pond workers and students identified by the project to execute scientific and research activities reliably and honestly to ensure integrity of research out puts developed.
- Research technology development:
- Sustain quality of research work by ensuring a consistent process that leads to continued research support and development of the best procedures and practices in the selective breeding and genetic improvement of Orechromisandersonii.
- Demonstrate Aquaculture technology and test on station and on farms.
- Capacity building:
- Develop training modules for fisheries officers, farmers and pond workers in aspects of practical fish breeding and genetics.
- Planning training courses, field days, workshops and other such activities related to research, development and technology transfer.
- Conduct training in fish breeding and genetics practical aspects as scheduled under project.
- Data collection and analysis:
- Coordinate on station field work and lab work to ensure consistent collection and analysis of data to ensure quality research results and technology development.
- Develop data collection tools and mechanisms of traceability under the guidance of the breeding platform manager and project leader to track the dissemination of improved seed.
- Collect, clean and store data on breeding, spawning, mating pairs, experiments and broodstock candidates for the genetic improvement program of Orechromis andersonii. The data should be collected in a standard, accessible and easily understandable format to enable replicating scientific studies and experiments.
- Together with the project team carry out data analysis and interpretation of results to write quality reports and science out-puts including journal articles.
- Generation of reports and communication dissemination:
- Providing timely technical information to breeding platform manager and project leader to facilitate preparation of scientific scientist outputs and reports as required.
- Develop monthly and quarterly reports of activities executed in a timely manner.
- Participate in report writing and delivery for the broader FISH CRP.
- Production of communication products for end users of research under the supervision of the research breeding platform manager and project leader.
- Improved seed dissemination:
- Develop improved seed and develop transportation mechanisms in collaboration with technical team and farmers to ensure quality fry is disseminated to breeding nuclei and other identified farms/ hatcheries by the project.
- Together with the broader WorldFish sustainable aquaculture genetics team and scaling expert, develop a dissemination strategy for the improved seed in Zambia.
- Identify and develop partnerships with private sector and farmers for improved seed distribution under the supervision of the breeding platform manager and project leader.
This job is open to Zambian National with the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science in Aquaculture or related field. Post graduate training in fish breeding and genetics are encourage to apply.
- Hands on training and experience in selective breeding and genetic improvement programs.
- Experience in managing large tilapia breeding and hatchery programs of improved strains.
- Aquaculture research knowledge and skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Strong organizational skills and able to work under minimum supervision.
- Good relationships with key offices in Government of Zambia.
- Strong in essential computer software/packages like MS Word, MS Excel, MS
- PowerPoint and MS Access etc.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with an attractive compensation package. WorldFish’s NRS shall receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension / provident fund contribution.
IV. Eligibility, Location and Duration
This position will be based at Kitwe, Zambia. Interviews are expected to be held in August 2020 and only shortlisted candidates will be notified and expected to attend the interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of eighteen (18) months fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability.
V. How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 2 August 2020:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
- Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interested and meet the requirements? Apply here.
For more information, please read the official call