Deadline: 31 October 2020
Applications are open for 2 PhD positions at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA); One in Molecular Biology-Genetics another in metabolomics of chemical ecology of pests.
The candidates could be registered as a PhD student at any reputable university and conduct his/her research in selected Western and Central Africa countries.
I. Project summary
- The interdisciplinary Molecular Biology/Genetics research will focus on Fall Army Worm (FAW) as this pest is becoming an important threat in maize production and other plants in several African countries. The candidate will analyze the susceptibility pattern of this pest to insecticides, its resistance profiles and identify factors contributing to resistance selection in this pest.
- The overall aim of the metabolomics of chemical ecology project will be on the chemical ecology of mosquito breeding sites, the structure and function of agrochemicals and the development of detection kits.
- The potential PhD candidates will participate in interdisciplinary research projects under the Agro-Eco-Health platform. Activities will focus on phenotypic and genotypic profiles of insecticides resistance and the metabolomics of chemical ecology of pests.
- Applicant’s nationality must be any one of the Western and Central African countries.
- Applicants must have a strong academic background with at least two-year master’s degree within Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Entomology, Agronomy, Crop Science, Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry (for the organic chemistry position) or related field. Both the grade for the master’s thesis and the weight average grade of the master’s degree must individually be equivalent to or better than a B grade. Candidates must be able to work effectively in fluent English and French.
III. How to Apply?
Applicants must submit the following as a pdf file:
- A review document (from 3 to 5 pages maximum) one of the two proposed PhD research fields
- PhD admission letter
- Curriculum Vitae with three referees
- Electronic copies of certificates
- Recommendation letter with a letterhead from a program professor supporting the application.
To apply, please send Application illustrating your suitability for this position, with detailed CV, including your certificates.
For more information, please read the official call