Deadline: 19 September 2020
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) is recruiting a principal or senior Scientist to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The position is open to both national and international applicants and it is a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
- ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances
- ILRI will offer the successful candidate a unique opportunity to build their reputation through empirical research that combines field and laboratory measurements conducted with an inter-disciplinary group of researchers.
- The successful candidate will have an established international profile and a record of successful resource mobilization.
- Offer a unique opportunity to the right candidate to lead and expand a team of researchers analysing the environmental footprint of livestock systems in developing countries.
- Depending upon qualifications and experience the appointment will be at Senior or Principal Scientist level.
- Provide scientific leadership to a team of over 30 scientists, technicians and students who conduct a range of field measurements and laboratory experiments across East and West Africa, with some work in Asia.
- Lead the integration of measurements and design of experiments to develop GHG footprints for a range of livestock systems.
- Lead the development of GHG budgets at farm, landscape and regional scale on the basis of various analyses.
- Oversee the management of experimental facilities including livestock and field research facilities and laboratories
- Mentor students, technicians, and scientific staff.
- Communicate findings to a wide variety of stakeholders (line ministries, other researchers in Africa and the world, farmers).
- PhD in biogeochemistry, soil science, animal nutrition or related fields with a general understanding of ecosystem biogeochemistry (nutrients, fluxes, stocks, compartments such as soils, plants, animals, manure, atmosphere) and ability to link to other research domains (social sciences, plant sciences, genetics, economics etc.)
- Minimum of five years post-doctoral experience for Senior Scientist and eight years for Principal Scientist.
- Established track record in environmental research with a focus on establishing GHG balances for managed systems and environmental assessments; experience with livestock strongly preferred
- Demonstrated capacity to manage inter- and transdisciplinary projects and teams
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Experience in developing countries and agricultural research on livestock systems desirable
- Excellent communication skills with ability to communicate to a wide range of audiences from scientist to decision makers
- Structural thinking and excellent organizational skills
- Multitasking and ability to work under continuous high pressure
IV. How to apply?
- Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through ILRI's recruitment portal.
- The position title and reference number REF: TL/08/2020 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
For more information, please read the official call
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.