Deadline: 17 February 2023
The submission of voluntary presentations and posters for the 2nd World Forum on Urban Forests is now open!
The 2nd edition of WFUF will take place in Washington DC, from 16 to 20 October 2023. The overall theme will be: Greener, Healthier and Happier Cities for All. This theme was chosen to highlight the importance of building inclusive and accessible cities where the goods and services of urban forests and trees are universally available.The forum will cover three main themes through science, policies and/or case studies contributing to Healthy Cities, Inclusive Cities, and Resilient Cities.
The aim of the Forum is to continue to highlight positive examples of planning, design and management approaches that cities with diverse cultures, forms, structure and histories have implemented to optimize the contribution that urban forests and green infrastructure can provide in terms of economic development, environmental conservation and resilience, improved social cohesion, and increased public involvement.For more details please refer to the draft scientific/technical programme.
The proposals submitted will be reviewed by a scientific/technical committee and selected based on their relevance, quality, level of innovation, and with the aim of ensuring a good variety in terms of topics/approaches presented and geographical representativeness. WFUF expects the process to be highly competitive so please ensure that your submission fits well within one of the main themes and that it gives a clear and concise overview of what you intend to present.
The Forum is intended for a wide variety of participants, therefore WFUF welcomes submission of both research and/or case studies presented simply and for broad interest.
Please, create a Currinda profile to submit an abstract HERE
II. About World Forum on Urban Forests
The World Forum on Urban Forests (WFUF) is an informal platform jointly developed by FAO, the Politecnico di Milano and Italian Society of Silviculture of Forest Ecology (SISEF).
It aims at consolidating, promoting and implementing the outcomes of the first edition of the Forum, including the Call for Action and the Tree Cities of the World Programme, and support cities worldwide move towards a greener and more sustainable and resilient model of urban development.
The main objectives of the WFUF are:
- to mobilize necessary financial resources, sponsorships, and technical contributions for the organization of future editions of the World Forum on Urban Forests;
- to raise awareness of the benefits of urban forests and trees to a global audience;
- to generate knowledge on good practices for the planning, design and management of urban forests and green spaces;
- to support the development of the capacity of local decision makers and technical staff in implementing a successful and inclusive approach to the planning, design and management of urban forests and green spaces ;
- to sustain the role of local communities in contributing to local debates on the management of their living environment through improved access to information and networking with other communities.