Deadline: 31 August 2023
The utilization of bio-based materials in modern building construction is a viable solution to global housing shortages, while at the same time contributing to the mitigation of global warming and achieving carbon neutrality. The special issue of the Engineering Journal “Sustainable and Innovative Structures with Bio-Based Materials” aims to attract global researchers, manufacturers and practitioners to showcase the state-of-the-art, latest innovative structural systems that are constructed with bio-based materials, especially by using timber or bamboo, as primary structural materials. The special issue also aims to call for architects and engineers to rethink the way traditional bio-based materials are used in structures through the application of modern theoretical and experimental methods showcased here, thereby contributing to a future sustainable built environment. This special issue is in collaboration with the International Bamboo and Rattan Organization (INBAR).
The topics of particular interest in this special issue include, but are not limited to:
- Mechanical performance of structural members made of bio-based materials;
- Seismic performance of bio-composite structures;
- Structural fire design approaches for bio-composite members and structures;
- Mechanical performance of novel connections and fasteners;
- Digital and other innovative design and analysis approaches for bio-composite structures;
- Relevant research on 3D-printed technologies for bio-composite structures or connections;
- Vibrational performance of hybrid timber-concrete, or hybrid steel-timber structures, etc.;
- Durability and long-term performance of bio-composite structures;
- Robotic design, fabrication and assembles of bio-composite structures;
- Performance of buildings or bridges by using bio-composite structures or hybrid structures;
- Structural design optimization from the perspective of carbon emission;
- Standardization on structural uses of timber, bamboo or other bio-based materials.
To align with the scope of the journal, articles mainly on materials research will not be accommodated in this special issue and unfortunately be declined.
- Paper submission open: 1 February 2023
- Paper submission close: 31 August 2023
- Paper acceptance completed: 31 December 2023
- The prospective authors are encouraged to submit their manuscripts online to Engineering Structures through this link .
- When submitting your manuscript, please choose the special issue “VSI: Bio Material structures” from the choice of submission types.
- The manuscripts will go through the regular peer review process before being accepted. Please visit the journal website for additional instructions.
- The special issue articles are published in regular issues as soon as they are available, and simultaneously being grouped online under a specific special issue link, which is easily accessible and navigable on ScienceDirect.
- Please note that papers solicited through this call will undergo standard journal peer-review process and will be indexed for citations like other regular journal papers.