PhD Mauritius Africa Scholarship 2022 : MPhil-PhD PROGRAMMES
Deadline: 15 August 202
The Government of the Republic of Mauritius is offering scholarships to deserving students who are resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries for full-time, on-campus MPhil/PhD programmes tenable in public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Mauritius.
I. Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must be resident citizens of member states of the African Union or of African Commonwealth countries.
- Mauritian nationals and foreign nationals residing in Mauritius are NOT eligible to apply under this Scheme.
- Applicants should not have reached 40 yearsby 22 August 2022.
- For PhD programme: a first classundergraduate degree from a recognisedUniversityor an MPhiland meeting the requirements of the awarding body
- For MPhil / PhD programme: Arecognised undergraduate degree with at least an upper second classdegree(or CPA / GPA greater than 60%)andpreferably witha masters’degree.
- Applicants should also secure a seat in one of the HEIsand submit evidence thereofalong withtheirapplication.
- The onus to provide an equivalence of qualifications rests upon the applicants
- Candidates should submit their detailed researchplan(of about 1500 words) along with their application.
- At the time of the application, candidates must provide thenameand written acceptance of their proposed supervisor(s). The list of research theme/ research interest can be consulted from the websites of the different HEIs.
- Self-financing African students already studying in Mauritius are NOT eligible to apply for the same programme level under this Scholarship Scheme.
- Scholarships will NOT be awarded for: Applicants already holding a PhD; Part-time courses; or Distance Education programmes;
II. Financial Conditions of the Scholarship
- This scholarship provides for the annual payment of tuition fees and other studies-related costs (e.g. general/annual fees and miscellaneous fees, etc) as per the grid below:
- Beneficiaries from SADC Countries : Annual Tuition Fee paid up MUR100,000
- Beneficiaries from Non-SADC Countries: Annual Tuition Fee paid up MUR160,000
- As at 30 November 2021, 1 USD = MUR 43.61)
- A monthly living allowance of MUR 12,500 will be also paid to awardees to meet their living expenses in Mauritius. Students are expected to supplement this amount to cover the cost of living in Mauritius. This allowance will be credited to the awardee’s bank account in Mauritius on a monthly basis, subject to the submission of evidence of enrolment and satisfactory attendance in the study programme by the HEI.
- Awardees will not be allowed to transfer to another HEI once they have been granted a Scholarship.
- Awardees shall have to bear the cost of tuition fees and other studies-related costs exceeding the amounts mentioned above.
- The awardee will have to bear all costs associated with any examination re-sit or repeat of any academic year.
- The scholarship for MPhil/PhD studies will be for a maximum duration of four(4) years, plus a maximum period of 6 months for a transfer from MPhil to PhD..
- The scholarship for PhD studies will be for a maximum duration of THREE (3) years.
- No request for an extension of scholarship will be entertained. The applicant will have to bear the cost of any expenses incurred beyond the time frames mentioned above.
- No request for additional grants will be entertained.
- Any costs related to fieldwork (either local or overseas)or the purchase of books will have to be borne by the studentor the HEI.
III. Other Conditions (benefits)
- Beneficiaries are entitled to free basic health care in public hospitalsin Mauritius. Awardees may wish to make their own arrangements for any health insurance and travel insurance.
- Awardees will have to make prior arrangements with the HEI in Mauritius concerning available accommodation facilities
- The scholarship also covers a return airfare by the most economical route. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
- Students who choose to have their family members or relatives or friends join them for visits in Mauritius will be fully responsible for their airfare, living expenses and any other expenses related to such visits.
IV. List Of Public Higher Education Institutions (Heis) Where Scholarship Is Tenable
- University of Mauritius: Research themes and academic staff
- Université des Mascareignes: List of Potential Supervisors at Université des Mascareignes
- University of Technology, Mauritius: Director General: [email protected] or Registrar: [email protected]
V. How to Apply?
- The application form obtainable from the websites below must be filled in electronically, printed and then signed: HERE or HERE
- Applicants must submit the completed Mauritius-Africa Scholarship Application Form along with documents as per the Checklist (below) to their respective Nominating Agencies.
- Checklist of Documents to be submitted to Nominating Agency
- Completed Application Form
- Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Certified copy of biodata page of passport
- Certified copies of educational certificates
- Certified copies of transcripts
- Copy of letter of conditional offer by a public Higher Education Institution in Mauritius (if available at time of application) ORcopy of acknowledgement notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid;
- Medical certificate to be duly filled and signed by a registered Medical Practitioner in Section 6of the Application Form. This should be appropriately stamped; and
- A detailed research plan
- An applicant may either: (a)obtain a conditional offer(letter of admission)from their chosen Mauritian public HEI and submit this along with the scholarship application; OR (b)submit an acknowledgement notice from a Mauritian public HEI that the application for a seat has been made and the appropriate application fee has been paid.
- The application fee shall be refunded to successful applicants.
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts, if not in French or English, must be submitted along with a certified translation in one of these two languages;
- All applications must be made exclusively through the Nominating Agencyin the country of citizenship of the applicant, along with the necessary supporting documents.
- Applicants are advised to contact the Nominating Agency in their country of citizenship, orin the absence thereof, the respective Ministry of Education, to obtain details on how to submit applications.
VI. Shortlisting by the Nominating Agency and Evaluation Process
- Applications for the Scholarships are to be made to the Nominating Agency in the applicant’s country of origin and are not to be sent directly to Mauritius by the applicant.
- The Nominating Agency, which is typically part of Ministry of Education, will select and nominate up to five (5) candidates for MPhil/PhD programmes(indicating clearly the level of studies for each nominated candidate).
- The Nominating Agency of the country of citizenship of the candidates, or the Ministry of Education, will subsequently transmit the endorsed application forms to Mauritius.
- Applications from candidates who do not have the endorsement of their Nominating Agencies, or that of the Ministry of Education, will not be considered.
- Candidates who have not been informed of their selection for award of a scholarship by end of October 2022 should consider that they have not been selected.
- Selection of candidates for the Scholarship will be based on merit.
- The list of successful applicants for each Member State will be communicated to their respective Nominating Agencies and a communiqué will be placed on the Mauritian Ministry of Education’s website once the selection exercise has been completed.
- The Mauritian Ministry of Education will, in parallel, issue the successful applicants with a Scholarship Agreement Form which is to be signed and submitted to the Mauritian Ministry of Education, upon appointment, within two weeks of their arrival in Mauritius.
- The final decision to award a scholarship rests with the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of Mauritius. This decision shall be final and binding.
- Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology of Mauritius will not respond to queries regarding the non-selection of candidates.