Deadline: 12 December 2022
Place of work: Umeå
Form of employment: Permanent
Starting date: By agreement
An appointment as Professor in forest soils science is vacant at the Department of Forest Ecology and Management at SLU, Umeå. The department includes 100 people of which about 10 are professors.
The professor shall:
- Act in accordance with the vision, goals and basic values of SLU
- Act in accordance with the departmental strategy by contributing to the development of scientifically based principles for management of forest ecosystems
- Develop and lead an internationally successful environment for research and education
- Apply for external funding in competition at national and international level
- Contribute to knowledge about the forest landscape in managed and unmanaged environments
- Lead, develop and participate in teaching and supervision of students at all levels
- Collaborate with other researchers and the society regionally, nationally and internationally
- Supervise PhD students and postdocs
- Disseminate research findings
Non Swedish-speaking staff members are expected to, within four years of first being employed, have sufficient knowledge of Swedish/Scandinavian to understand information in Swedish.
The applicant shall:
- Have a PhD degree and have attained the rank of a Swedish “docent” (roughly: associate professor or reader) in a subject area relevant for the position, or equivalent scientific competence
- Be scientifically skilled within the subject area of this appointment
- Be pedagogically skilled
- Have good ability to communicate in written and spoken English
III. Assessment Criteria
Assessment criteria for appointment of a professor will primarily be based on the degree to which the applicant possesses the required qualifications specified for the position.
The assessment of scientific skills will consider:
- Completed research activities and ongoing research within the subject area
- Future research vision within the subject regarding both in managed and unmanaged environments
- Ability to independently initiate, lead and develop innovative research within the subject area
- Ability to attract external funding in competition
The assessment of pedagogic skills will consider the ability to:
- Plan, conduct and evaluate their own teaching
- Supervise and examine undergraduate and master level students
- Supervise and examine at doctoral level
- Convey and implement their pedagogical vision
- Integrate research and academic thinking in teaching
Furthermore, the assessment will consider the applicant’s degree of skills in:
- Leading, developing and managing academic units and staff
- Interacting with relevant stakeholders and society
- Dissemination of information on research and development projects
Equal attention shall be given to the assessment of scientific skills, as to pedagogic skills, as well as to other skills.
The candidate who after an overall assessment of skills and qualifications, is considered most suitable to carry out and develop the work and contribute to a positive development of the activities within the field will be suggested for the appointment.
IV. How to Apply?
To apply, please click HERE
+46 (0)76-527 87 97
Head of Department
+46 (0)90-786 85 84