Deadline: 12 April 2022
AKADEMIYA2063 seeks to recruit a Scientist, with a strong quantitative background, to lead its data and analytical work on agricultural trade, price analysis and other development issues. Specifically, the candidate will lead the data management and statistical analysis work of AKADEMIYA2063 under the Department of Operational Support.
The Scientist will be based at AKADEMIYA2063 headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda, and will work under the direct supervision of the Director for the Department of Operational Support (DOS). DOS is responsible for supporting the implementation of agricultural and development policies and programs in Africa.
i.Research on Nutrition Smart Processing and Trade in Africa
- Coordinate and lead a data collection on nutrition sensitive practices and activities of agricultural value chain actors (producers, traders, processors)
- Conduct analysis on the contribution of small-scale food processing on diets and nutrition to identify policy and program options for enhancing nutrition smart value chain development
- Collect data and conduct analysis on cross-border agricultural trade and its implication for nutrition and food security
- Collaborate with other researchers to conduct nutrition adequacy mapping at market level
ii. Lead African agricultural trade database management and statistical analysis
- Collect agricultural trade data from international and regional sources, conduct statistical treatment to smooth and standardize the data, and update the AATM data base
- Contribute to the African Agricultural Trade Monitor (AATM) report through providing data and analytics support to chapter contributors and leading one or more chapters as requested by editors
- Produce working papers, and journal articles on African Agricultural Trade and Trade policies
iii. Provide analytical support to other initiatives
- Support the development of Food System Crisis Observatory and Resilience (FS-COR) Platform
- Contribute to AKADEMIA2063's activities for supporting the operationalization and implementation of agricultural and development policies and programs at continental, regional and country levels
- PhD degree in Trade economics, Agricultural economics, Statistics, or other related disciplines
- A minimum of 3 years research experience in conducting research related to agricultural trade, market, nutrition, food security, and policy
- Excellent quantitative skills in managing large data, and designing and estimating trade and market models and econometric methods, using Rand R Studio, GAMS, STATA, and other statistical software
- Proven experience in trade and nutrition research in African countries
- Knowledge on African agricultural trade and development challenges and policies related to CAADP, Malabo, AfCFTA,
- Recognized expertise, and refereed publications in research areas related to the position
- Excellence in oral and written English language, Fluency in French desired
- Ability to work well in a multicultural environment and with individuals and organizations from the public, private, and civil society sectors.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
III. How to Apply?
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and cover letter in English to [email protected]. Please, include the position title in the subject line.
IV. About AKADEMIYA2063
AKADEMIYA2063 is an African non-profit research organization with headquarters in Kigali, Rwanda and a regional office in Dakar, Senegal. AKADEMIYA2063 aspires to create, across Africa and led from Rwanda, state-of-the art technical capacities to support the efforts by the Member States of the African Union to achieve the key goals of the agenda 2063 of transforming national economies to boost growth and prosperity. The main goal of AKADEMIYA2063 is to help meet the needs of African countries in terms of data, analytics, and mutual learning for the effective implementation of Agenda 2063 and the realization of its outcomes by a critical mass of member states.
To find out more about AKADEMIYA2063 visit its website