Deadline: 01 January 2023
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations is inviting applications for internship program for Europe and Central Asia (REU). This Internship Program aims to attract talented young women and men who are strongly motivated to share their new perspectives, innovative ideas and latest research experience in FAO’s domains.
The Program provides a learning opportunity to the participants to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of FAO. Through the FAO internship experience, interns will contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and FAO's Strategic Framework to support the 2030 Agenda through the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
FAO leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to support development in member countries in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and forestry.FAO’s mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.
I. Tasks and responsibilities
The intern will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by the hiring office before the beginning of the assignment.
- Enrolled in an under-graduate, graduate degree program in a bona fide (i.e. listed in the IAU/UNESCO data base) educational institution at the time of application, or recent graduates.
- Candidates must specialize in a field relevant to the mission and work of FAO.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset. Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE and LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
- Candidates should be aged between 21 and 30.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother or father) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Internship Programme.
III. Technical/Functional Skills
Relevant academic experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
IV. Other Information to applicants
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented member nations as well as candidates from Low-Income Food-Deficit Countries (LIFDCs), Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs), and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
- Candidates are requested to attach to their application a letter of motivation, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of their academic qualifications and copies of their language proficiency certificates.
- Candidates who have already undertaken an internship assignment at FAO, will not be eligible for another internship.
- All applications will be reviewed and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
- Selected candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed country of assignment prior to joining the Organization
- FAO pays a monthly stipend to interns if they are not sponsored by sending universities or other entities.
V. How to apply
- To apply, visit the recruitment website Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- For more information, please read the official call HERE
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]